Saturday, March 10, 2018

Unlocking Potential

Over the years since Benjamin's birth there are moments when he blows past my expectations (which admittedly are sometimes too limited), and he displays a new level of comprehension and understanding of which I was not aware. It was present all along, but he simply needed the right outlet to unlock the potential within. When these moments arrive I am reminded to not underestimate his ability, and I'm given renewed hope for future breakthroughs. This past week held one of these moments...

I arrived at Benjamin's school to pick him up in the afternoon and was greeted by his teacher with a glowing report from the day. They have been utilizing an iPad speech app with him that gives him simple word buttons to choose for various activities. While working with the speech therapist he had formed a COMPLETE SENTENCE all by himself! "I want more Wheels on the Bus." (This has been his all-time favorite song since he was a toddler). Now I would have anticipated him hitting the button, "Wheels on the Bus," but he blew my expectation when he showed the unprompted understanding a simple sentence structure!


As a reward for his hard work he earned some time with his beloved See-n-Say! I've expressed this is previous posts, but I am so very thankful that Benjamin has the opportunity to attend a school that is tailored to his needs. They are helping to unlock the potential he holds inside, and I am continually encouraged to keep on dreaming for his future. I am so proud of this boy!



If you would like to learn more about Benjamin's remarkable, early journey, check out my book Reflections from Holland: A New Mother's Journey with Down Syndrome

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete